Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pirates/Cardinals Game a Tension-Filled Thriller

Let's just take a second to ponder how it is that the Pirates can beat pitchers like Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, and Adam Wainwright, but lose to others who aren't even close to being on the same level. Not that I'm complaining, because watching tonight's game was incredible, but still. How does that happen? Anyway. On to the thoughts.

First of all, any game that starts with third base coach Tony Beasley belting out the National Anthem is going to give me at least one good thing to say about it. Beasley's the greatest. But as for the game itself?

I wasn't sure what I was really expecting going into tonight's game, but I can tell you I probably wasn't expecting a completely thrilling game that would make me an absolute nervous wreck. Perhaps that was partially thanks to knowing that the opponent would be the St. Louis Cardinals, who so completely outperformed the Bucs last night, and that Adam Wainwright would be taking the mound for them. Perhaps it was partially thanks to the fact that I saw a great game Sunday afternoon, and wasn't sure that my good luck would continue. After all, this season hasn't been like last season, when I saw good game after good game, ending up with a 6-4 personal record, with the four losses all coming in the last four games I attended. This year has been a mixed bag of results. I saw the incredible home opener, with Zach Duke pitching yet another brilliant opener, and I saw Pedro Alvarez hit his first walk-off home run against the Colorado Rockies in the bottom of the 10th on August 5th for Skyblast II.

I have also seen games like Saturday night's, and games like some of the ones they played against the Cleveland Indians and the San Diego Padres.

But no matter the "record" I'm currently amassing this season, tonight was a completely individual experience, and it was fantastic. Even though the Bucs were down early, displays of impressive offense from the young guns - namely Neil Walker and Jose Tabata, plus a nifty triple from Ronny Cedeno - eventually pulled the boys ahead of the Cardinals, who had taken a 2-0 lead in the first inning on a Matt Holliday two-run home run into the Cardinals' bullpen, which also scored Albert Pujols.

And regardless of the fact that Pujols is, indeed, not a Pirate, I love the guy. He's a class act, and he plays the game hard. I'm still trying to figure out how anyone could hate him. Of course, it's entirely possible the boos resonating in some sections of the stands were results of jealousy that the Cardinals have him and the Pirates don't. Point is, he's incomparable, and it's always a delight to watch him play, even when he singlehandedly destroys us. Which didn't happen tonight, but still. He's done it before, and I haven't even been able to be mad about it on those occasions. I can only shake my head and go "...well, he's Albert Pujols."

I don't even know what else to say other than it was a great game, played well -- for the most part. There were a few pretty serious blunders, which all came in the top of the ninth inning when two chances at double plays were blown pretty spectacularly; first by Evan Meek, then by Ronny Cedeno. But still. The score ended up in the Bucs' favor, and there were a couple of great plays that made up for the missteps. Paul Maholm turned in a noteworthy performance, and it's a shame that he didn't get the win, but it has to be reassuring to have such a good outing nonetheless. Joel Hanrahan, too, came up with a great outing. Evan Meek faltered a little bit, but regained his footing in time to sit Pujols down when there was a huge Cardinals threat looming.

Thank God.

Seeing Pujols at bat with the bases loaded may have been one of the single most nauseating moments of my baseball-watching career.

All in all, it was a great night to be at the ballpark.

No comments:

Post a Comment